Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Update on Shane

Today was Shane's first appointment at Huntsman's Cancer Institute. His appointment was with Dr. Bentz - the head and neck surgeon. He told us that they wanted their pathologist to take a look at the tumor to confirm the diagnosis before making any plans for treatment.
He told us that because of the location of the tumor, there would not be any more surgeries involved. He told us that normally when a tumor is removed, they remove the area around the tumor as well, to make sure they get everything. Shane's tumor was sitting on main arteries, bone, and his lung. So he said that wasn't a possibility.
Shane has been reading about angiosarcoma on the internet, and everything he has been reading was very bad. The doctor confirmed that it does not have a good prognosis. He told us that our best bet was to start radiation and there are some experimental chemotherapies available. He didn't go into very much detail. He told Shane that he wanted him to get his scan scheduled today if possible. We were able to schedule it for tomorrow night. So when we go to his appointment on Friday, they should have results to let us know if the cancer is anywhere else in his body.
Shane is maintaining his positive attitude that whatever it is...HE WILL BEAT IT!!
We are very appreciative that he is able to go to Huntsmans for treatment.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Please keep us updated! You and Shane are in our prayers

Amber Ferran said...

Thank you for the update! You are a strong girl, and Shane is a strong guy (I mean, who else do we know that is flexing his guns on a website??? honestly). I'm grateful you have such a strong & supportive family. Please let me know if you need anything.

Adri said...

Jen, I'm so sorry. Even though I've never met your husband I can tell he's a great guy and makes you happy. I hope all turns out well. I'll be praying for your family.