Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Talking to Shane 101


First off I would like to point out that Jen is doing awesome, her foot surgery went well and she doesn’t seem to be in much pain. The Dr. said that the nerve was about the size of a string but the Neuroma was about the size of the end of your finger and was the consistency of gristle. She’s a trooper .

Now for me, let’s start off by saying that my scan went well, there are no new tumors and the ones I do have seem to be stable. The Dr. is thinking about putting me on some experimental drug, but for now it is the usual chemo.

If you see me in the near future here is a list of rules I would appreciate that you follow:
1. Don’t act uncomfortable around me, I can sense that a mile a way. You can NOT say anything that is going to offend me or make me feel bad.
2. If you want to know about my cancer, ask me, don’t beat around the bush trying to get information from me in some B.S. round about way, I respect people who are blunt.
3. Don’t ask how I feel, I feel fine, I feel normal, I feel better than you most likely.
4. Don’t be so sensitive, if you can’t handle me joking around about me dying, then don’t talk to me. I am realistic, I know I may die, but while I am here I want to have fun and make the most of this situation.
5. Don’t tell me you’re sorry, I am not sorry so why should you be? I have a really bad form of cancer and to be honest I wouldn’t have it any other way, if you are going to beat something wouldn’t you want to beat something difficult rather than something easy? If it were easy, anyone could do it.
6. STOP saying I look good, I interpret it as “You look good, for someone with cancer.”

I am sure I will think of more as time goes on, until then do yourself a favor and take a moment to appreciate everything you have and see. I am really lucky, I have had my eyes opened 10 fold. Take a moment and appreciate your spouse, or your kids, or your family, or your friends or even your cats, there are so many little things in this world that we take for granted, don’t wait for some life changing event to open your eyes, do it now.

5 comments:

Amber Ferran said...

Yes sir! :)

Jess said...

You do look good, for someone with cancer. Jess wanted to make sure you knew it was Glenn

Adam and Tone said...

I love your opening picture... Priceless.. :)

♥Stef said...

Good Post Shane. You have such a great attitude! I must say, you look good for someone who does or does not have cancer. Thanks for your (or Jen's ?) comment. I think of you guys often and hope all is going as good as it can be. Hope to see you at a get-together soon.
Stephanie Richards

Ambrosia75 said...

LOL...Why didn't you just say so in the first place! smooch.